Thursday 19 May 2011

Statement of Intent

Eco Hedonism

Hedonism is a school of thought that argues that pleasure is the only intrinsic good.

I intend to combine sustainability with the natural and hedonistic. I want to explore the arguments between pleasure and pain using organic form and static. When visiting Barcelona this summer I am hoping to find some organic form within architecture, especially through Gaudi’s work. I would like to introduce sustainability through changeable garments and sourcing organic fabrics from websites such as greenfibers.com. However, I want my garments to maintain the designer look and status whilst embracing organic and sustainable fabrics. I intend to research Goodone as they have managed to create high-end garments whilst still appealing to the mainstream fashion industry. As I am interning with Goodone in the summer it will allow me to find out where they source their fabrics and learn about their opinions on sustainability. This will culminate into a collection for autumn winter 2012/2013 and will be aimed at the designer market level for customers aged 25-40 with an interest in the environment and supporting fair trade and organic products.

Throughout my second year I have focused on structure and believe this has been a strength of mine, therefore I would like to continue to concentrate on this through layering and soft tailoring. This will make the silhouette quite simple but with interesting details for example, trousers that exaggerate the hips. I would also like to explore the idea of changeable garments, like Rad Hourani, so perhaps pieces can be added from season to season.

As a starting point I am using the greens of organic form mixed with warm earth colours and amber, which introduces the idea of being aware of danger/pain. I would like my fabrics to have structure, like the samples from research practices.

No comments:

Post a Comment